Mudgee-based family-run Burnbrae Wines releases its latest vintage wines with a fresh new look full of personality, just like the winery. The six new white, rose and sparkling wines are now available in cute three-bottle gift packs, nifty slide-under-the-bed six packs, or by the case online and at the cellar door for delivery Australia-wide.
Burnbrae’s owners, husband and wife duo Andy and Trine Gay, have a simple philosophy: enjoy great wine with friends. Motivated by the idea they could carry the family custom and make wine to enjoy with their friends at a long lunch outdoors or around a dinner table, they took over the charming vineyard, cellar door, and boutique accommodation from Trine’s dad, Tony, in 2014. That idea grew and now they’re making wine for not just their friends, but also the rest of us who love a good catch up over great wine.
“We just love wine – making it, tasting it and drinking it,” says Trine Gay. “A bottle of truly cracking wine shared with friends can change an ordinary day or evening into something pretty special. We made these wines with those lazy Sunday afternoons out in the sunshine with your mates or family just catching up in our minds.”
The new releases use grapes grown both on the estate in Mudgee and in nearby Orange, where the climate is a little cooler. Each wine name is inspired by Burnbrae; its surrounds and connections to Trine and Andy and this is shared on the vibrant labels. Chatty rosellas, the driveway lined with blooming magnolia trees, a little love story, and the awe-inspiring blazing sunsets over the nearby ranges are just a few.
Burnbrae’s new releases for this year include:
- Little Gem Pinot Gris 2017 ($20): green apple and cantaloupe is made for seafood, or anything really
- Chit Chat Sauvignon Blanc 2017 ($20, to be released soon): fresh, crisp, tropical duet of botanics and passionfruit ideal for a catch up/chit chat
- Blooming Ranges Rosé 2017 ($20): easily quaffable and perfect for an afternoon in the sun with a grazing plate
- Bout Bella Moscato 2017 ($20): sweet-scented and sherberty, the perfect balance of lovely natural sweetness and fine effervescent spritz
- Twinkle Toes Cuvee ($30, to be released soon): inspired by the lively parties held at the dancing hall that’s now the Burnbrae cellar door, this is a delicate and crisp bubbly with some lovely nectarine characters perfect for the silly season
- Lucky Find Cuvee 2012 ($50): a crisp, zippy bubbly with a delicious palate that makes any occasion a celebration. A very special sparkling undergoing the fermentation in the bottle; traditional method.
A trip to the Burnbrae cellar door in Mudgee is a must; an experience that echoes the wine’s unpretentiousness. Follow the long driveway past the line of magnolia trees to the historic converted dance hall where Bonnie, the cellar dog, greets guests with a smile in exchange for a pat. The charming cellar door, run by Trine and Andy and a small team of friendly, knowledgeable Mudgee locals is set among Burnbrae’s 40-acre vineyard.
Not just a cellar door, the winery hosts an array of events from pizza and live music sessions through to weddings and the annual Burnbrae Black-tie garden party. Every Sunday, from 12pm to 3pm, there’s woodfired pizzas, wine, and anyone who’s anyone in Mudgee sprawled on the back deck and lawn kicking back. Every third Sunday there’s live tunes with some of the best local artists.
The self-contained Burnbrae winemaker’s cottage, next to the cellar door, is available as boutique accommodation all year round. The original features include two double bedrooms, a charming verandah overlooking the garden and an open fireplace in the living room. Whether a family holiday, romantic getaway, or just four friends, a stay in the winemaker’s cottage is one you won’t forget.
All wines available online and direct from the cellar door for delivery nationally.